19 April 2010

00 - Why am I doing this?

It was the comments on Facebook that made me do it in the end. A few days into my holiday, I posted that I'd tried to buy an Apple iPad but had failed. My Facebook friends responded with a surprising amount of comments and mail. They were remarkably polarized: Some thought the device was cool & wished me luck, others queried the financial and/or technical rationalizations behind my quest and some were plain insultive.

This led me to wonder how a piece of technology can generate such emotional outbursts, both positive and negative. What drives people to be passionate about some thing that someone else owns, to the point of offensive behavior? I mean, it's just a collection of electronic parts and more importantly, its my money.

The more I thought about it, the more curious I became. So why not buy one and write about it. I wanted one anyway, and it would give me something constructive to do during my holiday.

The pieces I'm going to post here are very personally motivated. If you are here for a deeply technical review, you are probably in the wrong place, as there are other, much better places you can read one of those.

However, if you are looking for a honest, discursive review of everything from rationalizing the purchase of a new device, failing to get one, what kind of effect it has on the family and what was actually good about it... well you are in the right place!

Somewhere on this blog page you should find links to my initial musings on the various stages of my exploration into the device. I'll add more later. feel free to comment - after all, that's what started me on this journey in the first place.

NEXT: 01 - Apple & me

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Small Print

A tip of the hat to Sharon Ritchey, Carl Schenkenberger & Frans-Jozef Rutjes for their invaluable help and encouragement. Without them I'd be wasting my days on a game console or grumbling about 3D software that doesn't work properly. Or eating. Probably the latter.

The content of this blog is my personal opinion, based directly on my personal experiences. Feel free to email me at hairytech@gmail.com if you want to discuss anything on here. Or better still, leave a comment.